12 September 2011

my secret: i have misophonia and it sucks.

What is Misophonia

"Misophonia – literally the hatred of sound -can be defined as a hypersensitivity to background sounds or visual stimuli that are generally ignored by other people. More importantly than the individuals inability to block out the offending stimuli or “trigger” is the acute negative emotional response experienced as a direct result of being in contact with a trigger.
The response has been described as a reflexive emotional flood of rage and panic with a storm of fight-or-flight reactions becoming paramount. Adrenaline flooding, face flushing, heart-pounding and/or shaking and the need to physically flee or attack are often experienced. The mindful thoughts that the emotional reflex/response is unreasonable given the facts of the stimulus is often actually harmless come only after the fight-or-flight response is in full force and the affected person may find themselves in a constant mode of “talking themselves down” into a normal state of calm.
The majority of trigger stimuli are counted as harmless or just part of every day to day life by the “normal” person, but to a person inflicted with Misophonia, they are a tremendous burden, often the analogy of nails down a chalk board or exposed nerves have been used to describe the disturbing response." -source

Can you cure Misophonia? 
No.


_


I've had this as long as I can remember. It's caused countless fights between me and my family and friends, as I didn't know I had anything wrong with me. I just thought they were always being very inconsiderate with the noises they made and felt like I had no control of my reaction to the triggers.
When I married Chase, he pointed out that I had "something" wrong with me. I've looked and searched for answers, coming up with nothing. I had been told by doctors it was Bipolar symptoms or OCD, but it still didn't add up!


I worked hard to not lose control when I was bothered. I started wearing earplugs every night, turning on fans or music to drown out noises, asking people to stop chewing gum or eating certain things around me. But often I would just have to leave gatherings early (and usually in a huff) because I couldn't stand it and felt like I couldn't control my urge to punch someones lights out. Seriously.


My sister texted me a link to a New York Times article last week, titled "When a Chomp or Slurp is a Trigger for Outrage." That sure sounded like me. I was instantly interested and read the entire article and was dumbfounded. All my searching and she just happens on an article that describes me to a T?! There were other people out there like me? There is a name for it? Wow.


Please read this article if you are close to me. 
It will greatly help you understand what I go through and why I react the way I do!


Questions? Comments? Reactions?  I am curious to know what you think of all this. 
(I know people in the past simply don't believe me when I tell them what I go through, perhaps with a name and diagnosis, people will be more understanding?)


4 comments:

Chrissy said...

I am sure it is a relief to find out that this is an actual condition that others suffer from as well. I often forget, so when I am around just tell me when you feel like punching me and I'll curb my heavy breathing :)

Anonymous said...

It has been very helpful. Thanks for educating us. Let's get you a punching bag!
Seriously though, it is a relief in a way to know that you are not alone!
It helps so much when you remind us in advance of it becoming irritating.

Brittany Anne Nielsen said...

oh chrissy, you're not one to be annoying but i'll be sure not to punch you without warning next time we're together.

Richard said...

Thank you for helping to increase awareness and linking through to my site, please keep up the good work! if we continue to work together we stand one step closer towards research and in time, a cure.